Model: Kaley Klasson // Photo Credit: Eric Rosso
The 2016 Yoga in America Study conducted by Yoga Journal and Yoga Alliance is a national study and snapshot of yoga trends in the U.S. A similar benchmark study was conducted in 2008 and 2012 by Yoga Journal. For this study, Yoga Journal and Yoga Alliance partnered with Ipsos Public Affairs to expand on the understanding of the practice of yoga in the U.S. and to determine how Americans view yoga.
[The Social Research and Corporate Research Specialists. IPSOS Public Affairs. (2016). The 2016 Yoga in America Study. Yoga Journal. Yoga Alliance. Retrieved from http://media.yogajournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016-Yoga-in-America-Study-Comprehensive-RESULTS.pdf]
See if you can answer these 10 questions!
1. How many people have participated in a yoga class at some point in their lives in the U.S.?
a. 7 million
b. 14 million
c. 20 million
d. 36 million
2. How many men are participating in yoga?
a. 1 million (about 3%)
b. 6 million (about 17%)
c. 10 million (about 28%)
d. 20 million (about 55%)
3. How many yoga teachers across the country are male?
4. How many yoga practitioners are over the age of 50?
a. 8 million (about 22%)
b. 14 million (about 38%)
c. 19 million (about 52%)
d. 25 million (about 70%)
5. What percentage of yoga practitioners have been practicing yoga for less than five years?
6. What percentage of yoga practitioners have been practicing yoga for over 10 years?
7. Which answer is true?
a. East of the Mississippi has more yoga practitioners
b. West of the Mississippi has more yoga practitioners
8. Which answer is true?
a. 65% of practitioners practice at home, 48% at a gym, 45% at a yoga studio or a center
b. 31% of practitioners practice at home, 20% at a gym, 85% at a yoga studio or a center
c. 90% of practitioners practice at home, 5% at a gym, 70% at a yoga studio or a center
9. What is the percentage of yoga teachers who “teach yoga” as their primary source of income?
10. What is the percentage of practitioners who are interested in attending a yoga event?
Scroll down to see the answers.
- Answer: D—Up from 20.4 million in 2012, 36 million or 28% of all Americans have participated in a yoga class at some point in their lives.
- Answer: C—10 million male practitioners (approximately 17%) out of the 36 million participate in yoga.
- Answer: D—48% of the teachers who teach yoga throughout the country are men.
- Answer: B—Of the 36 million who practice yoga, 14 million practitioners (approximately 38%) are over the ages of 50.
- Answer: D— a whopping 74% of yoga practitioners have only been doing yoga for less than five years, and 30% for less than a year. Yoga is growing!
- Answer: D—just 7% of yoga practitioners have been practicing yoga for more than 10 years.
- Answer: A—with 21.5M east of the Mississippi to 14.3M west of the Mississippi // Mid Atlantic 8.0M // South Atlantic 7.7M // Pacific 6.8M // East North 4.4M // West South 3.6M // Mountain 2.1M // West North 1.8M // East South 1.4M // New England 1.0M (U.S. Census)
- Answer: A—note: Practitioners could answer multiple locations of where they do yoga—and that’s a lot of yoga going on outside the studios.
- Answer: B—Only 29% of yoga teachers consider teaching yoga as their primary source of income.
- Answer: D—Over 60% of practitioners are interested in attending yoga events; 19% have attended a yoga event in a public place; 7% have attended a yoga retreat; 55% have attended a free yoga class.